Saturday 22 February 2014

Back To The Home Patch.

I was up early this morning to get out and fill up my feeders, in the hopes I had not lost any of my regulars, did not take long before I had a couple of dozen birds milling about in the tops of the trees waiting to come down, glad to see I had not lost my Redpoll and Goldfinch numbers and was hopeful of adding Siskin to my list as I know they had been seen in the area last week while I was away, had great views of the little resident Wren who is a joy to watch as it pops in and out of the ivy covered tree stumps along the fence line, here the predominant bird is the Blue Tit, were as in the Cairngorms it is the Coal Tit that are abundant and hardly any Blue Tits are seen, followed by the Jackdaw which seem to be their equivalent to our Grey Squirrels being a real nuisance on the feeders. I had to wait until I came back this afternoon around 3pm before I spotted Siskin on the feeders, I had two adults and one juvenile and they only stayed a matter of minutes and did not return. With the sighting of the Tawny Owl last night that now brings the total up to 28, just to put that sighting into context, I have lived here now in this area for two years in April and all of that time within woodland and although heard many times before, so close that you would think you could touch them, that is the first sighting I have had and because the embankment is long and narrow like an airport runway the view was close and very low and in view for around 50 yards or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment