Friday 31 January 2014

Three New Entries Into The Charts!

New Entries into the Charts today have been Lesser Redpoll, House Sparrow and Wren bringing the total species seen now up to fifteen, not forgetting my small rodent of which there has been no sign of today, don't blame him with the weather as it is, however, I have been told in the past not to get too attached, as he could well be an Owl pellet by Now !!! Oh well we will see! I was desperate to see what was visiting the feeding station and started my watch at 8.00 to 8.30am within this time I had 6 Goldfinch, one Wren, 5 Lesser Redpoll, a good couple of dozen each of Great and Blue Tits, Chaffinch, Robin and 4 Long-Tail Tits, had to tear myself away from my viewing area as I needed more Bird Feed and as the numbers are getting greater I now needed to get another pole so I can have more feeders out there. Back from my shopping trip and continued the count at 11.00 until 11.15, by now there is just a fine drizzle, in this time I had 3 Dunnock, one House Sparrow and the Lesser Redpoll number had increased to eight. There was a lull in numbers at this point with the drizzle turning into driving rain, so thought it would be a good time to go out and re-fill all the feeders, got absolutely soaked, hope they appreciate my dedication!!! By 11.30 even with the pouring rain the Redpoll, Goldfinch, Blue and Great Tits, were feeding really well and undisturbed, with Chaffinch feeding on the Bank, but with no further increase in numbers. Sometimes they are quite happy to share or wait their turn in the bramble bushes, other times it looks like a really complicated game of tag, with them all trying to get onto the same feeders all at once, so the new pole will be put out tomorrow which should help the congestion some what. My viewing area is the only window overlooking the back of the property, the picture window in the bedroom however unfortunately it does not open and I was keen even with a very dull dank day to get a couple of record shots, the ones below were taken at around 8.15am through glass, not my greatest but as I say a record shot never the less and not one's used from my previous encounters elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment